It's Friday -- the last day of our week "break" from Plaything 2.0! The week was meant to be a time for rest from the activities or a time to catch up. I am definitely in the latter category.
I enjoyed bopping around Flickr and looking at all the amazing photos from the last 7 days. Bit depressing to realize that I will never take pics like any of these wonderful shots. Oh well, I won't be making any guest appearances to sing at the Metropolitan Opera, either so I must learn to live with my shortcomings. That last sentence sounds like I should have both elbows propped on a bar, drinking some high-octane concoction. Rest assured that I am not!
Any hoot -- what I find really exciting is what I'd found out on Flicker through a Fiction-L thread on the use of Flicker by public libraries. Tho I am strictly a "lurker," I followed a link from a post by David Wright of Seattle Public Library on a recent use of Flicker to SPL's online feature "Shelf Talk." Readers could follow a link to a lovely photograph of traditional Valentine's Day items with notes attached about where to find a list of books of love poems in the library, yellow page listing for local florists, reviews of local restaurants, a list of books on chocolate, chocolate cookbooks, etc. It just seemed like a great way to provide information about what's available through the library and library holdings. Maybe I'm easy, but it impressed me.
The only wrinkle I had with the Seattle PL Flickr photo was that I could not search with tags to locate this exact Valentine's Day photo. I had to use the link provided in the Fiction-L post that took me to the SPL Shelf Talker page and then to the photo. Perhaps I am missing something.
So long story short -- Flickr seems like a cool tool to that the library and different departments could integrate into our website.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment